One to One Summer Support Worker Reimbursement Fund - FAQs
The Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services is continuing to support summer programs for children and youth with autism spectrum disorders through more regionally-based programs. Families should check with the Ministry’s Regional Offices for further information regarding other summer camp supports funded by the Government of Ontario. For information about Regional Offices, click here.
1. Do I need to resubmit the proof of diagnosis if I have previously applied for funds?
No. If you previously received funds from 2007 to 2021, you do not need to resubmit confirmation of an autism spectrum disorder diagnosis.
2. How does the application process work?
We will accept completed and signed applications from May 6, 2022 to May 31, 2022, to be entered into a random draw. Your application must include evidence of a clear autism spectrum disorder diagnosis from a professional who is qualified to make the diagnosis.
Note: A diagnosis written on a doctor’s prescription pad will not be accepted.
3. Where do I send the application and diagnosis?
Complete your application and proof of diagnosis online at www.autismontario.com/campapply.
4. Is there a deadline to submit the application?
Yes, all applications and diagnosis must be received by May 31, 2022 in order to be considered for the randomized draw. There are no exceptions.
5. How many children will be eligible for reimbursement?
A minimum of 500 children are expected to receive reimbursements.
6. How will families be selected to receive funds?
A random selection will be made from all eligible applicants who apply between May 6, 2022 and May 31, 2022.
7. What is the reimbursement amount?
Maximum reimbursements of $600, per child or youth, (up to their 18th birthday) will be made to subsidize services purchased between July and August 2022.
8. When do I apply for reimbursement?
Applications will be accepted from May 6 to May 31, 2022.
9. When will I be notified if I am one of the selected recipients who will receive the funds?
Autism Ontario will notify all families who submitted an application by June 6, 2022 regarding whether or not they will receive the funds.
10. What if I have more than one autistic child and submit more than one application?
Each application received online or by mail will be provided with a unique number. Because it is a random draw, a family may submit more than one application and it is possible that one, all, or neither are selected.
11. If I am selected to receive funds when do I have to submit the receipt?
Once you have been notified that you will receive the funds, you have until September 16, 2022 to submit the original receipt from the worker. Please save receipts until the maximum $600 has been reached and submit all your receipts together.
12. When will I receive my reimbursement?
Reimbursement will occur within 30 business days after all required documents have been received by Autism Ontario.
13. What types of services can be reimbursed under this Fund?
The Fund is intended to help parents pay for a support worker to accompany the child to a camp/program or on community outings. The following types of expenses can be approved for reimbursement:
i. Respite services to support caregivers during the day, evening, or weekend, at home or elsewhere (for example supervision of the child or youth, help with daily living activities, or taking child out for an activity); and
ii. Fees for online or in-person recreational and cultural activities and camp programs that help to promote independence and develop social, communication, and life skills (for example sports, arts, and music programs; museums; and camps). This service must occur during July and August 2022.
Note: Eligible expenses are consistent with OAP eligible expenses.
14. What are examples of summer programs that qualify for 1-1 worker support reimbursement?
The Fund is intended to help parents in funding support workers so that their child or youth can attend a community program during the summer. This is typically described as a summer camp or summer program. Key words that describe eligible programs include: camp, community, recreational, social learning, summer time.
15. I have more than one autistic child. Can I hire the same worker for more than one child?
No. This program specifically funds a one-on-one support worker for one child at a time. You may, however, hire the same worker to work with each child as long as the support is provided during different time periods.
16. Can I fax in the documents for quicker service?
Yes, you can fax in the application, diagnosis, and receipt from your one-to-one worker. Reimbursement will occur within 30 days once all three items (proof of diagnosis, original receipts, and signed application) are received.
17. My child does not require a one-to-one worker. Can I use the funds to pay for the camp/program?
Yes. The following types of expenses can be approved for reimbursement:
i. Respite services to support caregivers during the day, evening, or weekend, at home or elsewhere (for example supervision of the child or youth, to help with daily living activities, or taking child out for an activity); and
ii. Fees for online or in-person recreational and cultural activities and camp programs that help to promote independence and develop social, communication, and life skills (for example sports, arts, and music programs; museums; and camps).
Note: eligible expenses are consistent with OAP eligible expenses.
18. Do I have to pay the one-to-one worker up front?
Yes. Please ensure that you request an original receipt from your paid one-to-one worker. Valid receipts contain the full name and address of the one-to-one worker, the amount paid, the date of receipt, and the worker’s signature.
Note: this must be a paid-in-full receipt, not an invoice.
19. I received reimbursement for this program and/or the March Break Funding in previous years. Does that mean I am automatically going to receive reimbursement for the 2022 program?
No. Each eligible family who applies in 2022 will have equal opportunity through the random draw held in June 2022. There will be families whose names are drawn, and families whose names are not drawn.
20. What happens if an eligible applicant does not submit the required one-to-one support worker receipt by the September 16, 2022 deadline?
The funds will then be reallocated to the next eligible family.
21. What is the age range?
Up to 18th birthday.
22. What if my one-to-one support worker fee is included in the camp fee?
Please ensure that your child’s camp issues you a receipt that lists the camp fee and one-to-one support worker fees separately.
23. Do I need to be a member of Autism Ontario to access this funding?
24. Still not sure if your child is eligible?
If something is not clear or if you have questions, concerns, or comments, please do not hesitate to contact Ginny at firstname.lastname@example.org.