Chapter Area: Waterloo Region
President: Paulette Thoms
Autism Ontario - Waterloo Region is a regional chapter of Autism Ontario, a non-profit organization comprised of parents and others who volunteer their time, talents, and energy to help improve the lives of children, teens and adults with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) in our community.
Our local efforts include, but are not limited to:
- Provide support and friendship to families and community members living with ASD.
- Provide social learning events, activities and programs for children with ASD and their families. Where possible, these events are held in a comfortable, sensory-friendly environment. Some past and on-going events are, movie mornings, rock-climbing, cooking classes….
- We hold positions on both the Public and Catholic school board Special Education Advisory Committee (SEAC). This network allows us to provide insight for families with school age children and the services available through these boards.
- Monthly support groups for Adults with ASD and for their parents or caregivers. Support doesn’t end with high school. With these groups we hope to connect our community members and continue social activities and provide support where needed.
- Membership provides a collective voice not only in our community but on a provincial scale; it demonstrates the number of families we serve and support and the diversity of their needs. For a list of member benefits, visit our website below.
Our aim is to ensure that every individual is given all the opportunities and resources needed to achieve his or her full potential.