Upcoming Events - Social Learning Opportunities (SLOs)
Fall Parent Support Groups
We offer Parent Support Groups as an opportunity to for you to connect with other parents who have child with ASD and see that you are not alone in the everyday challenges you face.
Childcare is not provided and siblings are not able to attend the groups due to supervision concerns.
Tuesday DAYTIME Support Group (Niagara Chapter located at 36 Page St., St.Catharines, L2R 4A7- Room C- 9:30am-11:00am)
Dates:September 13, October 11, November 8, December 13, January 10, February 14, March 7, April 11, May 9 & June 13
Thursday EVENING Support Group & Teen & Young Adult Support Group (Burleigh Hill Public School- 6:00-7:30pm)
Dates: October 6, October 13, October 20, OCtober 27, November 3, November 10, November 17, November 24, December 1 & December 8
Please contact LB Brown, Family Support Coordinator ( firstname.lastname@example.org ), with any questions.
How to submit an SLO
SLOs must represent unique activities and programs that are:
- Generated by ideas received from families and community service providers (the only way a SLO or Community Event can happen is if you submit your ideas!)
- Needed in the community because they are not offered anywhere else or are not accessible for various reasons (i.e. lengthy wait-lists, lack of adequate funding)
- Able to make accommodations so individuals with ASD and their families can be included and accepted
Some examples of Social Learning Opportunities are:
- Social skills groups for individuals with ASD
- Recreational activities for individuals with ASD and/or their families
- Health and fitness activities for individuals with ASD
- Community outreach
- Specialized programs (i.e. Summer-to-School Transition Program, Sibling Support Group, etc.)
To submit an SLO, follow these steps:
- Discuss your idea with Potential Programme staff
- If your idea fits the criteria listed above for SLO objectives, complete a SLO form by the appropriate deadlines (listed on the application form)
- SLO applications are reviewed by a regional SLO Review Committee. All committees use a standard Rating Scale to determine the strongest ideas for their community
- The strongest ideas are reviewed by the Director of Family Support and Programs and the Community Resource Manager at the Provincial Office of Autism Ontario and approved or denied
SLOs are offered in French, English and Bilingually. You can propose a SLO in any city or town in the Niagara Region. The Community Event Coordinators can assist anyone in completing an SLO Application Form or answer any questions about the SLO process.
Fill out the SLO Event Application Form here.
Family supports to help your child reach their potential. Pour l'information en français, cliquez ici.
Autism Ontario - Niagara Region Chapter Potential Programme contacts:
What is the Potential Programme?
The Potential Programme is a unique service from Autism Ontario designed to directly support all Ontario families, parents and children with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD).
The Potential Programme provides:
- ASD Information - Our qualified staff are a rich resource for information on ASD, health and local social service providers
- Access to ASD Experts - Via speaker events and workshops related to ASD
- Family Support Groups - An opportunity for caregivers to connect with others and share their experiences
- Social Learning Opportunities (SLOs) - Social programming and family gathering events that provide opportunities for your child to be themselves in a social environment
- Community Events - Organized by the Community Event Coordinators, a variety of events are created to help your child reach their potential
- Connect to Resources in the Community - Staff will help provide you with support by establishing community partnerships
Meet with LB, our Family Support Coordinator, to map out your plan for support and to get access to local resources.
Top of the page.